This blog is a collection of a young woman's random thoughts, many tangents, and occasional
short stories and novel excerpts. Stay tuned for plenty of bull and brief moments of brilliance.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Food

Food in schools. It's been a source of controversy for many years in America, brought to the forefront again by Jamie Oliver's new show: Food Revolution. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this show from beginning to end, but know deep down that it will not sustain. It's not because Jamie's work was not efficient, but because the government and large corporations will not get on board with it.

We are the fattest country in the world. We all want to blame it on someone or something else but ourselves. I saw my mom struggle with her weight for most of my life, and she used every excuse in the world, yet in the end, I know the reason none of her diets worked. She never took responsibility for what she did to her own body. Once we all take control of our own bodies, we can make real progress. Now, I know, coming from a 120lb. 5'3" 19 year old, it may not seem a compelling argument. But seriously people, when will we start caring?

Why do we as Americans always blame others and lack the responsibility of adults? Above all though, why do parents sabotage their own children? I've heard so many arguments out there about parents claiming, "My child won't eat this/that/veggies/fruits/drink milk/etc." When did parents decide to surrender their power to their children? When I've babysat children, I've forced them to eat their dinner. They're not allowed to leave the table until they're finished. Some parents didn't like that I did this, but I didn't really give a shit in the end. Your kid has to eat eventually and will eat what you serve them if they have no other choice.

It does, however, come down to schools with some responsibility. I remember our high school changed the lunch program my sophomore year, getting rid of our salad bar and only serving pizza, chicken fingers, hamburgers, and fries. And of course, there were always plenty of deserts. Gone were the delicious little pudding cups and the tomato basil soups. I know it came down to costs but in the end, we didn't like the food and most stopped buying it.

As with most things in America, Americans and the government act like teenagers in a sense: they won't make a change until things hit an all time low. I guess then, we haven't hit rock bottom quite yet.

1 comment: