This blog is a collection of a young woman's random thoughts, many tangents, and occasional
short stories and novel excerpts. Stay tuned for plenty of bull and brief moments of brilliance.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Avoiding Essay, Almost Time to Fly Away

The title of this post sounds like a really shitty poem or movie, but it's the truth. The Japanese Philosophy essay was finally finished Friday and turned in, but that still leaves the Roman Imperial History essay, which is only 1,500 words so it shouldn't be too bad. This damn blog is becoming such a convenient way to avoid school work without feeling like a waste of time because I can convince myself it's helping me achieve some form of consistent writing practice.

Speaking of writing, had a terrifying dream last night that there was a flood and my computer was destroyed, and along with that all my writing. The only piece of writing that would be truly damaging to my future career would be losing Autumn Leaves. However, even in the dream, I knew logically that my writing is backed-up on multiple flash-drives. This didn't keep me though from waking up in a cold sweat, clutching my teddy bear, and running to my computer to make sure it still existed.

Anyways, as usual, I'm getting off track. Listening to Kate Nash's CD "My Best Friend is You" which is great for paper writing...that I should theoretically be doing. In less than 48 hours I'll be wandering around somewhere in Paris and beginning my thirty day European adventure. Have I mentioned where I'm off to? Well, starting in Paris, obviously, then going to (in this order): Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Vienna, Budapest, Krakow, Prague, Athens, Santorini, and Istanbul. Each place will be a couple days--from one to four--and I'll be back in Cork May 4th.

Needless to say this is my last blog post for a month or so *sniff, sniff, tear* but May is going to be filled with many avoiding-studying-posts. I've already said to someone what May will be dedicated to my three S's (feel free to guess what those three are). Four exams in May--10th, 11th, 23rd, 25th--then flying home the 26th of May for America.

Strange to think that the next two months are monopolized by planes, trains, and automobiles. Such a seemingly ordinary thing is going to change my life drastically. I'm going to see things that people, myself included, have only dreamed of experiencing. I'll be going back home to Wisconsin and leaving behind the home I've grown to love, as well as the friends for which I've grown to care.

It's bittersweet, really, all of it. I'm horrible with change, yet change loves me. For someone who loves planning and stability, I've chosen an interesting career path. Do I love stability though? I thrive on excitement, that feeling of living on the edge but safely enough on the ledge that I won't fall over. I get bored easily (probably a product of the ADD) and the monotony of daily life can be grating. Perhaps I seek out this crazy mess I call my life. Same-old has never been my M.O. and who knows, maybe this semester is exactly what I needed to remind myself that though I have chosen a rather turbulent life for myself, I can take it.

1 comment: