This blog is a collection of a young woman's random thoughts, many tangents, and occasional
short stories and novel excerpts. Stay tuned for plenty of bull and brief moments of brilliance.

Monday, May 16, 2011

This Chapter is Drawing to a Close.

And as quickly as it began it's coming to an end; less than two weeks til I leave good 'ole Irishland and head back to WiscAnsin. I've mentioned it before in previous posts, but this semester has been an amazing learning experience and all the rest of that "study-abroad-and-find-yourself" bullshit. It's true though, so much so that hurts thinking about leaving the country I've come to know and love.

The friends here I've made will always be with me. They've been there for many a house-party and youtube watching nights. We've eaten so many biscuits and drank so much tea (and some of us a few too many bottles of wine...), cheap and fancy. We've traveled parts of the world I had only ever seen before behind my eyes in my dreams. I had true guy friends for the first time in my life and fell in love with the pub culture.

Now, before I get too sappy/sentimental, here are some of the things I've learned over these past five months:

I love to travel for a week at most (the point where my mind turns to mush).

After years of others telling me what a confident person I am, it's finally starting to become true.

I'm smarter than I give myself credit for, school-wise and beyond.

I'm a shitty, unimaginative cook.

I'm a decent photographer, but better with people than landscapes.

I have a broader fashion sense than I display on a daily basis and need to start taking more risks.

Though I don't need a man to validate or "complete me," the right one can help me grow more confident in myself physically and emotionally (and he did).

I need to have a 24hr store nearby for late-night ice cream runs.

I eat far too much cheese, even for a Wisconsinite.

I can down a bottle of wine in under an hour.

I have the uncanny ability to sit in front of my computer and write random crap for an entire day and realize all I've eaten in the past eight hours was an apple.

I'm a good friend, generous and loyal.

I look fucking stupid when I walk in heels.

My dreams are not crazy or silly, they are what keep me going and waking up ever day.

There are skeletons in my closet that may need airing out...someday.

I can never go five months again without seeing my sister/best friend.

I love the University of Iowa; it's one of the best decisions I've made the past couple years.

I AM mature even if I do have bursts of child-like glee.

I know who I am and where I stand; I just need to trust who that person is.

I need to be challenged in order to concentrate in classes...or force myself to study (so NOT right now).

I'm worth it and don't have to settle for just anyone.

When I do settle down, it must be in Wisconsin; I love that state.

Though they can be long-winded, I am a good storyteller.

I'm a fucking good writer. If I don't believe it, who the hell will?

Ireland will always have a special place in my heart.

1 comment: