This blog is a collection of a young woman's random thoughts, many tangents, and occasional
short stories and novel excerpts. Stay tuned for plenty of bull and brief moments of brilliance.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Favorite Poem Growing Up

There was this poem, by Shel Silverstein, that was my favorite poem growing up. When I got my own room in 9th grade, I decorated the shit out of those walls to cover up the nasty yellow paint job. On one of my closet doors, I wrote in colored sharpies on the off-white wooden door. I also wrote Jaques' monologue from "As You Like It" on the wall right inside my front door, but that's an obnoxiously well-known one so I won't bother writing it down. However, "Needles and Pins"...I just cannot resist. Here it goes:

Needles and pins,
Needles and pins,
Sew me a sail
To catch me the wind.

Sew me a sail
Strong as the gale,
Carpenter, bring out your
Hammers and nails.

Hammers and nails,
Hammers and nails,
Build me a boat
To go chasing the whales.

Chasing the whales,
Sailing the blue,
Find me a captain
And sign me a crew.

Captain and crew,
Captain and crew,
Take me, oh take me
To anywhere new.


Love that poem with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment