This blog is a collection of a young woman's random thoughts, many tangents, and occasional
short stories and novel excerpts. Stay tuned for plenty of bull and brief moments of brilliance.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Finally At Home.

It's been a long eight months since I've been in Iowa City, but it's feeling great to be back.
This week has gone by incredibly slow and I think I'm getting a good idea of how heavy my course load will be (not that much), my semester stress level, my available free time, traveling, which classes are awesome and which suck, etc.

That last one has become obvious by four days into the semester. World of Cicero (i.e. Latin III) will be my most challenging course, but I am beyond grateful for a classroom setting instead of doing independent study. My film class is slightly challenging jargon-wise since I'm not a film major; my professor's enthusiasm though makes up for any difficulties. Basic Acting is probably the only three hour night class I could handle and the people in it are fun with the added bonus of the teacher being my freshman Academic Adviser. Earth Science, as I guessed, is fucking boring as hell, and a repeat of everything I learned four years ago in my high school class. DSHA was thorough in their teaching which at times seems on par with college instructors, so my level of focus in this class will be zilch to none. Hope I can crank out a decent grade. Finally, I love my Creative Writing class since I know people in it, my teacher's cool, and I'm working on a short story idea that I think will turn out quite nicely.

Beyond school though, I'm pumped to be returning to work at Tropical Smoothies. My bosses are great (and thank the Lord Jesus Christ they've been so understanding about my recruitment time commitment), the employees are great, I love the smoothies, and the hours are flexible. You couldn't ask for much more in a college job on campus. My free time is enough to get shit done but not so much (*ehem* UCC...) that I go crazy at my boredom. Somehow I end up being bored at the most inconvenient times, nonetheless, even when I have plenty of crap on which I could be working (like now, for instance).

I miss writing papers = nerd alert. It happens to be one of my favorite parts of being an English major. As for my abilities in analytical writing, I look back at papers I wrote last fall and am both impressed at them and baffled at how I came up with the stuff I did. Hopefully, I can replicate the work ethic I did before that allowed me to take 17 s.h., work 13 hrs. a week, handle sorority obligations, and still somehow hang out with friends. My work load this year is less (only 15 s.h.) but I'll still be just as busy.

All this boring, monotonous shit aside, I've been in this weird funk since I came back to IC. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be back and beyond the heat the weather is fantastic. Maybe I miss Ireland still, miss the streets of Cork, miss my roommates, miss my friends, miss a particular friend...

Whatever it is that is making me like this, I need to snap out of it soon. I'm thinking it's that I've changed so much since I left America eight months ago and everything here is still the same. I have to integrate what I've learned about myself into the life I've had here for almost three years now. Happiness is fleeting for people like me (why the universe has decided this, I have no idea) yet Iowa City has been able to be that foundation for it that I've been craving since I was thirteen.

I have this feeling, as crazy as it sounds, that something amazing is going to happen to me this semester, this year. What, I do not know, but I can feel it in my bones. Perhaps I will find love again, have a writing epiphany, make a friend who changes me, gain a leadership position that gives me a sense of purpose, thrive in classes I once feared...or all the above. Whatever this year brings me and the journey it carries me on, I am looking forward to the ride.

Get ready Iowa City: Molly Jane is back in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment