This blog is a collection of a young woman's random thoughts, many tangents, and occasional
short stories and novel excerpts. Stay tuned for plenty of bull and brief moments of brilliance.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Kate Nash Obsession

One month now of being single and I feel much different than I did four weeks ago, and somehow oddly similar. Wow, that was a boring and contradictory sentence.

I feel different about the situation each day with good, bad, and the ugly sprinkled in. Some days, I wake up wondering why I should be wearing a smile on my face; I walk through the daylight hours zoned with a blank stare. Other days, I'm pissed as fuck at the world, a bit "snippy and short" as my lovely roommate put it the other night.

And then there are days like today when I feel the rays of sunshine tickle my toes and I wonder why I ever regretted being single, not alone, but single. I sit in my room on Pinterest/Hulu/Facebook blasting Kate Nash's "My Best Friend Is You" on repeat and pretending I have an epic British accent when I sing along. Her CD takes me through a full range of emotions I find beyond therapeutic. I'm going to list here some of my favorite lyrics from this record. But first, about things being therapeutic:

I posted my first Performing Autobiography piece recently and I said I would post the other two, but now I'm thinking I won't. The next one I'm doing is about losing my virginity and the "sex cupcake" pact I made with three of my friends. A bit too revealing for the interweb, wouldn't you say?

The last one I will write and perform is about a specific moment while in my sorority I wanted to quit but stuck it out after an intense breakdown. It's a positive piece in the end, but it does mention what sorority I'm in and I want to avoid that on this blog. I am proud to be in my chapter, but some amount of respect is expected/required even more so now that I hold a leadership position.

Anyways, the lyrics (property of Kate Nash...let's hope that new internet piracy bill doesn't go through or I'm fucked):
"Don't You Want To Share The Guilt?"
Sometimes, when I'm at a really noisy train station
One of the ones with the big, fat trains like King's Cross
I feel like putting down my bags and shouting things out
Because I've got something to say

"Mansion Song"
I fancy the hip rock 'n' roll scenester
I wanna be fucked and then rolled over
'Cause I'm an independent woman of the 21st century
No time for knits, I want sex and debauchery

"Later On"
And later on I'm crying my stupid eyes out
Later on I'm crying like a baby
And yeah, baby don't get so disappointed
I am not what you anticipated

And, my favorite song on the CD, "I Hate Seagulls"
I can't find the words to make it sound unique
But honestly you make me strong
I can't believe I've found someone this kind
I hope you carry on
'Cause you're so nice and I'm in love with you

When I hear that last song, it stings a bit, but then I remember it won't always hurt. It hurts less now, I have my friend back at the very least, and I still feel beautiful. I'm assuming that's all for which I can ask.

1 comment: