This blog is a collection of a young woman's random thoughts, many tangents, and occasional
short stories and novel excerpts. Stay tuned for plenty of bull and brief moments of brilliance.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Letter from the Heart

Four years ago, my dad dropped me off in Iowa City at Stanley Hall, holding back tears, as he left me to be a college freshman. Tucked in my stuff my dad has slipped a letter. This letter I have kept with me through all of college and even took it with me to Ireland for my semester in Cork. Eventually, I will be getting a tattoo of my dad's handwriting (not from this letter though) and seeing his writing makes me feel like I'm home. As I approach graduation, I find myself reading it more and more. Here it is:


Molly,
You did it! You're a college girl now. I'm glad that you're settling in and already have some good friends. They seem really nice.

Every time I go to Iowa I love it more than the last time. It's such a beautiful campus and it feels like a college should feel. You made a great choice and I know that your next four years will be amazing.

I'm looking forward to hearing about how you like your classes. I'll bet some will be harder and some easier than you thought. I know you had some colorful teachers at DSHA, but college professors are a different breed. You get the younger, super eager ones--and the ones that are "legends" (at least in their own minds) and obviously frustrated actors or performers.

You know that your mom wanted me to be a university professor--probably because it's what she thought I would have been most happy doing. Anyway, I'm glad we didn't have you grow up around a campus because now everything about it is so new and fresh to you.

I'd like to hear about what you like and don't like so far. Favorite place to eat? Have you guys ordered pizza yet? Favorite place to walk on campus? Weirdest thing you've seen? Anybody with crazy piercings or hair?

We all miss you like crazy. I miss you like crazy. I'm so happy for all of the time we've been able to spend over this last year and a half. It's let me really get to know you, and you know what? I found out you are a pretty terrific person. Yeah, I already knew that, but I had a chance to get many reminders. I'm so very proud of you and excited for every amazing thing that's going to happen to you in the future.

I'm sure you know how proud mom would have been. We talked about this moment so many times. I'm just glad you know how she felt and that she's watching over you every step of the way.

We can't wait to see you again. Until then, you know that whenever you need me, whenever you need anything, I'll be there.

I love you,
Dad


Those last three paragraphs always make me cry like a baby. I'm so blessed to have the best dad in the world.
Me and my dad when I was little

1 comment: